House Klianty

History

 

Elena Krivoshieva has been working as a restorer in the Revival reserve “The Old Town” for more than 40 years. The incredible house Klianty has been a part of her life ever since. In 1984, with a team led by Zdzislav Karchevski, she enters the building among other colleages to examine it’s history. Little did she know, that she will spend many more years involved in the saving of the oldest house in the Revival reserve “The Old town”. According to written records , the structure dates back to the middle of the 18th century, making it one of the oldest Renaissance buildings in the “Old Town” .The year 1817 painted on the frescoes of Constantinopole and Vienne  in the southeast room on the second floor, obviously show a year of reconstruction of the first structure.

 

Values

 

House “Klianty” is an example of architectural and artistic synthesis in the local townhouse type from XIXt century. The painter who worked in Klianty, had exclusive compositional sense and amazing color skills. The murals were painted with a fine delicate but skillful hand. It revealed an extraordinary wealth of artistic values of high quality, complex ornaments and colorful wooden ceilings, frescoes and more. Most of them were covered with whitewash on the walls. For structural interventions part of the decoration was removed and processed in a studio and afterwards returned to the walls after the construction phase. 2014 carpenters removed each wooden element of the ceilings and after processing placed them back on newly manufactured grills. This is an extremely laborious process involving a scheme to track the original location of a board of stored ceilings.